The WMHI’s popular Vicarious Trauma Training provides people with the knowledge, skills, and tools to look after their personal mental health and wellbeing, specifically, when dealing with people who have experienced trauma, or with material of a highly sensitive or emotional nature.
Protect your mental health and wellbeing from trauma that comes from exposure to other people’s negative experiences
Synopsis:There are people in our communities that have difficult and painful life stories. So painful that they could potentially be experiencing trauma. If you are in close contact with their stories, it’s important that you learn how to protect yourself too and that you don’t develop trauma yourself. The Vicarious Trauma Training gives you the tools to be able to help but to do so in a manner that is safe to your own mental health and wellbeing.
Description:The Vicarious Trauma Training provides participants with the knowledge, skills, and tools to look after their own personal mental health and wellbeing, when dealing with people who have experienced trauma, or when working with difficult, emotional, sensitive, or potentially traumatic material and information. Are you in contact with people that have experienced trauma, or do you work with the type of material or information that could be traumatic? Ongoing exposure to this type of negativity could be harmful or even traumatic to you if you don’t have the tools to protect your mental health and wellbeing. Protect your own personal mental health and wellbeing from trauma that comes from exposure to other people’s negative experiences. On successful completion of the course assessment, you will receive a certificate of accreditation, which may be used for professional development requirements, with your professional body.
“Usually online courses delivered through webcam are dull, boring and non-interactive. Boy, was that not the case here. The facilitator was professional, engaging and super energetic the entire time. I honestly feel like I'm leaving with a fountain of knowledge and better skills to not only help myself, but the clients that we interact with on a daily basis. There was never a stupid question, and he made sure to make the training FUN. I genuinely had a blast here and will be sad to leave!” – Samuel, Commonwealth Ombudsman
- Understand how the brain and body operate when responding to trauma and potentially traumatic material and information.
- Understand the power and importance of empathy, how it can help and hinder our own wellbeing as a responder and apply strategies to utilize empathy effectively for ourselves and the person who has experienced trauma.
- Identify signs they may be overstepping the limits of their role and be able to respond effectively to ensure they are acting appropriately within professional boundaries.
- Distinguish between Vicarious Trauma, Secondary Traumatic Stress, and Compassion Fatigue, and identify early signs of these developing.
- Respond in a timely and effective manner to the signs of vicarious trauma, stress, and burnout, to prevent it from escalating.
- Apply a range of strategies and tools to build and maintain their personal emotional fitness, when dealing with highly sensitive information.
Benefits of the Online Vicarious Trauma Training:
- Learn at your own pace with a course that is split into bite-sized modules.
- This is a course developed by psychologists who have worked directly with trauma in both the clinical and workplace settings.
- Real and practical advice that protects your mental health from vicarious trauma.
- The course is taught in everyday language, ensuring you don’t get lost in clinical jargon.
Who Is This Online Course For?:
- First responders like ambulance officers and paramedics
- Call center personnel
- Hospital Emergency Department staff dealing with emergencies
- Police officers
- Fire fighters
- Psychologists and counsellors helping people through trauma
- Family and friends of people that have experienced a potentially traumatic event
- Anybody that wants to be able to help when it matters most
- Module 1: Welcome to the Vicarious Trauma Training
- Module 2: What is Trauma and How the Brain Works
- Module 3: Common Responses that Can Serve as Coping Mechanisms
- Module 4: PTSD, Secondary Traumatic Stress, Vicarious Trauma, Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction
- Module 5: Resilience: Support & Challenge Model
- Module 6: The Role of Empathy: Risks, Benefits and the Stress Spiral
- Module 7: Empathy, Our Roles and Managing those Around Us
- Module 8: Positive Psychology Practices
- Module 9: Beliefs and Resilience
- Module 10: Coping Strategies
- Module 11: The Science on Strategies
- Module 12: Hotspots and Triggers
- Module 13: Using Debriefing Effectively
- Module 14: Reflection and Action
- Module 15: Summary of Key Learnings