Life hits hard, and 75% of us bear the invisible scars of trauma. That includes our colleagues, customers, friends and family members. With those numbers, its crucial that we, as individuals and as organizations understand Trauma, know how to communicate with people who have experienced trauma, and deliver services in a way that is careful to avoid re-traumatization or causing more harm.
This self-paced online course gives you an advanced understanding of trauma informed care, so you or your team can communicate effectively and appropriately and avoid the risks of creating further harm.
Trauma informed care is now an essential skill for the modern world.
Synopsis:The Trauma Informed Practice course shows you how to identify signs someone might have experienced trauma, how to communicate effectively with them, and how to provide services in a way that is sensitive to their needs, and minimizes the risk of retraumatization.
Every year, millions of people are affected by trauma, which can have a substantial impact on a person's physical, emotional, and psychological well-being, as well as their behavior. Thankfully the majority of people are able to cope and recover, however, some people who may continue to experience distress over a longer period of time.
As a result, it is critical that service providers and workplaces understand the impact of trauma and how to administer services in a way that is trauma informed. This means it is sensitive to and respectful of the numerous obstacles and difficulties their clients or colleagues may have faced.
While the concept of trauma-informed practice originated in health care, it is now ubiquitous in all kinds of workplaces. So, whether you work in healthcare, community services, education, or criminal justice, or even customer service or retail, there will be people who have suffered some type of trauma in the past.
As a result, understanding trauma informed practice is essential in the modern world. And this course gives you the knowledge, skills, and tools to do just that.
What Others Say About the Trauma Informed Practice Course
Both the training and the trainer were exceptional. I love it when staff find the training provided insightful and relevant, but most of all they were engaged the whole time. - Laura Benitez, HR Coordinator, Everyman
The delivery of the course was excellent, with lots of new things to learn, and practical applications - Chidi, FocusACT
Amazing course. Good information about TIP and how I can apply it as a front line worker - Participant, Evolve Housing
- Understand what trauma is, and how it can impact a persons thinking, emotions and behavior.
- Have an awareness of different causes, types and the prevalence of trauma
- Recognize signs that a person may have experienced trauma, and be able to tailor your communication appropriately.
- Demonstrate empathy and compassion to people who may have experienced trauma.
- Understand what trauma informed practice is, and how it applies in your role.
- Know how to respond when someone has experienced a recent critical incident, trauma or potentially traumatic event.
- Have tools to respond appropriately when someone discloses trauma
- Understand the 6 principles of Trauma Informed Practice
- Know how to manage triggers and use appropriate communication skills to avoid retraumatization
- Apply tools to support recovery, dignity and choice, and create trauma informed environments
- Know how to look after yourself when working with people who have experienced trauma and avoid vicarious trauma.
People who have bought this course have also bought Vicarious Trauma Training.
Who This Course is For
- First responders like ambulance officers and paramedics
- Police officers, fire fighters, and emergency services staff
- People working in hospitals or healthcare settings
- Lawyers, advocates, and others in the legal profession
- Anyone working in customer facing roles including in retail, client services, or call centers
- Policy professionals and civil servants
- Psychologists, counsellors, social workers and community services staff
- Family and friends of people that have experienced a potentially traumatic event
- Anybody that wants to be able to help when it matters most
- Module 1: Welcome to Trauma Informed Practice
- Module 2: What is Trauma? How does it work in the brain?
- Module 3: What is Trauma Informed Practice?
- Module 4: Common Responses as Coping Mechanisms
- Module 5: 6 Principles of Trauma Informed Practice
- Module 6: Responding to Critical Incidents and Potentially Traumatic Events
- Module 7: Responding to Disclosure of Trauma
- Module 8: Managing Triggers and Avoiding Retraumatization
- Module 9: Trauma Informed Environments
- Module 10: Summary of Key Learnings
Benefits of the Trauma Informed Practice Course
This course has been designed by our team of expert psychologists from around the world, each with decades of professional, and personal experience.
We provide you with evidence based strategies and practical tools that are easy to apply for immediate results. Delivered in everyday language, you won´t get lost in clinical jargon.
✓ Engaging Video Lessons
✓ Bite Sized Modules – Learn at Your Own Speed
✓ Interactive Quizzes
✓ Bonus Tools and Resources to Download
✓ Certificate of Completion
Have A Group?:
Group discounts apply.Alternatively, this online course can also be provided to you in SCORM files to upload to your Learning Management System. Please CONTACT US for a quote.